Sunday, February 3, 2013

1967

I have very fond memories of my visits to my Grandma Peurrung's apartment. Helen Catherine Peurrung (nee Fobiano) was born on 16 July 1899.  She was a buyer for Lawton's, a fashionable women's retail store in Downtown Cincinnati before she was married. Over the years I remember she would give each of us a roll of quarters she saved up and we played not with toys, but wooden coasters, tin popcorn containers, wooden figures, a metal dog that had holes which was once used to hold cigarettes.  We counted cars that went by the front of her building - each taking a colour.

She loved to shop and take us to Graeter's in Hyde Park Square which was a short 10 minute walk from her apartment on Linwood Ave - passing buckeye trees along the way. Graeter's is well known then and now for it's wonderful ice cream & baked goods.  Amy and I especially loved their butter ring cookies!  Looking on a map - my grandmother's apartment was in Mt Lookout and wasn't far from Krohn Conservatory and Ault Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment